Sunday, April 12, 2015

I'm a terrible cook,


not because I have no tastebuds, but because I have not nearly enough experience, and I forget one meal to the next time I cook that meal. So I'm writing things down and printing them out in a great big office sized notebook. With Christmas on the cover. 


I had a bit of involuntary Internet down time a couple weeks ago and realized I've got so many recipes pinned or loaded into my recipe program, but if the electronics fail, I'm toast. So, I'm going old school with the ones I've tried and will use again. I've set my notebook up with labeled dividers, slid the printed pages into clear sleeves (really cheap to do now), and fixed a nail and a clip to hang one from the cabinet while I cook. Totally Pinterest worthy and works great. 

The ADD issue comes in when I try to coordinate a whole bunch of recipes to come together at the same meal. I had to scramble eggs three times to have hot ones at the same time everything else was finished this morning, so... I'm making a schedule of what to fix in what order for next time I do this - like a recipe! 

I really do need that kind of specificity, but it can't be someone else's order, it has to be mine, because if I don't understand it, I can't make it work. And if I don't write it down today, I'll forget by tomorrow. Maybe I could write recipes for getting myself properly packed and out the door on time for a road trip? I don't think I'm ready for daily life recipes, those just turn into endless to-do lists aimed at perfection, and I have no shot at that. I'd just like to enjoy my time off without the stress and failures that are my usual fare. 

Even so, breakfast did get made and I decided to pull out an old favorite and make it a full brunch. I can't remember where I got the recipe, but it makes some very tasty scones. Don't forget to wash the orange with dishwashing soap and a sponge before you zest it, produce is coated with wax for shelf life. 





Cranberry Orange Scones

Yield: 8

Ingredients:

- 2 C flour
- 1  T. sugar
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2  t. salt
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 C sweetened dried cranberries
- 2  t. orange zest
- 1-2 T. sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425. Grease a cookie sheet

2. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter or margarine into dry ingredients until butter is size of small peas using a pastry blender or fork. Add remaining ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moist. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Pat into a circle about 9 inches across and 3/4 inch thick; cut into 8 wedges. Place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar.

3. Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. 



1 comment:

CL said...

Funny, I was just commenting to my mom a couple nights ago that, although I normally don't care for cranberries, I'd once eaten orange and cranberry scones and really liked them. And voilĂ ! Now I have the recipe. Thanks. :)